Thursday, February 4, 2010

Walk for Lupus Now 2010

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in August 2009. I was a healthy person for the most part until this last year and a half when noticeable changes started to happen. The lupus-related things I've been going through have not been easy, and talking about them is hard. Some days are better than others. Some days it's hard to imagine keeping this up every day for the rest of my life. Basically, my body is "allergic to itself" and my immune system attacks normal, healthy parts of the body. My SLE has been flaring since this summer and I'm still trying to get it under control with various medications and treatments. I try to be optimistic and remind myself to keep looking for the good things in life and not be weighed down by the way things have turned out so far. Thank you to everyone who has been supportive. I'm so lucky to have family and friends who love me unconditionally. I dream of the day when a cure for lupus is tangible. Until then, I'll keep looking for the silver lining...

Support me in the Walk for Lupus Now 2010.

"Don't hold back in mourning your old self and abilities. Reassure yourself that it's normal to be sad about it and okay to admit it. Only when you allow the emotionally protective walls you’ve spent years constructing fall to the ground, can you begin to take steps toward healing. And only then can the rebuilding begin." -Sara Gorman

No comments:

Post a Comment